Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Any 10mm fanboys? Loading question with pictures

I am loading up 10mm auto.
    I’m getting very little Glock bulge, I think. Pistol is a Glock.

It’s 180 grain at 1300 fps. So maxed out in my opinion. Starline brass.
    The cases only bulge this with this load.
    I should also state that this happens very similarly with 180 grain buffalo bore loads as well. Which are max loads.

So the ridge for lack of better words is “.005” in diameter different from supported to unsupported.
    The unsupported measurement is the exact same as the chamber. So the brass is swelling to match the chamber.

Is this an acceptable?
    Is this an actual issue?
    I am tracking the brass and will limit number of reloads.

The point of this thread is the brass itself. How much case bulge is ok? If any.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I think you have a few options.

I can't really see in the picture how significant the bulge is but I would not load anything that has a bulge in the case. Lee makes a die called the "bulge buster" that will remove the bulge but it only works on a single stage press.

I installed a Lone Wolf Alpha Wolf barrel and a 22# recoil spring in my g40 10mm because it has a much tighter chamber than a stock barrel and that helped with my bulging issue with my hot loads.

I have developed a load using 230 grain bullets at 1200 FPS. About one out of 20 cases will bulge and I only get 2 or three loads out of them before the primer pocket won't retain the primer. Because these are so hot I only use new brass for them and don't shoot a lot of them. I have a nice 180 grain bullet I use for practice/plinking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you for the response. I’m nowhere near what you will see on the Internet as far as case bulging or splitting.

Title
    Premium Member
    I am becoming a 10mm fan, but don't have one. I wish. I will probably go with a Kriss Vector pistol or carbine though. For some reason I am drawn to different stuff sometimes.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
    I am becoming a 10mm fan, but don't have one. I wish. I will probably go with a Kriss Vector pistol or carbine though. For some reason I am drawn to different stuff sometimes.
    Like a moth to a light

Title
    Premium Member
    I have been shooting a 10mm for some years now. My gun is a Glock 20. I actually own two of them. My keepsake was owned by a buddy of mine that is gone now. It is the origional model without the finger grips or a rail. The other is a hunter that I have had since 2005.
    It is an OD framed model with a OEM Glock 6" "hunting" barrel. It has TruGlo TFO sights,some small parts upgrades,and a Viridan green,true daylight laser.
    I have killed quite a few hogs and deer with this gun. Even a couple unfortunate coyotes.
    I handload a 180gr for practice and shoot a Double Tap 200gr WFNGC for hunting.
    The Glock 20 is the only pistol expressly designed to shoot the 10mm. The rest . . . are just 1911's. --- SAWMAN
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    I have been shooting a 10mm for some years now. My gun is a Glock 20. I actually own two of them. My keepsake was owned by a buddy of mine that is gone now. It is the origional model without the finger grips or a rail. The other is a hunter that I have had since 2005.
    It is an OD framed model with a OEM Glock 6" "hunting" barrel. It has TruGlo TFO sights,some small parts upgrades,and a Viridan green,true daylight laser.
    I have killed quite a few hogs and deer with this gun. Even a couple unfortunate coyotes.
    I handload a 180gr for practice and shoot a Double Tap 200gr WFNGC for hunting.
    The Glock 20 is the only pistol expressly designed to shoot the 10mm. The rest . . . are just 1911's. --- SAWMAN
    Hey now.....Ruger Redhawks are not 1911s.....

Title
    Premium Member
    I load 10mm in a 1911 and I run into Glock bulge with most of my brass so I bought the Redding base sizing die and run all of it through there then check the cases if good load if not I toss but I haven’t ran into a case that’s bulged to far to be used .yet ....

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight